The Lynchburg Ferry, across from the Houston Ship Channel, connects North and South Independence Parkway and the San Jacinto Battleground Monument. Since 1888, Harris County has provided the ferry service free of charge.
Todd Shipyard built the William P. Hobby and Ross S. Sterling ferryboats in 1964. Both ferries are 61’8" x 40’5" in length and 8’9" in depth. Their weight is 85 gross registered tonnage, and a capacity of 10 vehicles. Depending on the wind, currents and traffic the ferry can take up to 5-10 minutes to cross the ship channel.